Sunday, March 13, 2011

Hospital food


This week I have done very little shopping as I have spent most my time at the hospital with my husband, as well as at the local body shop after my husbands BMW got broke into while parked at the hospital (causing more than $2,000 in damage), so I guess I did make a purchase by way of a window and trim, as well as a few other parts that were shipped to the local shop I used for repairs.

Even though I did not do much shopping this week, I did notice something that impressed me. Bronson Hospital rebuilt a new hospital next to the old one about 10 years ago. In the new hospital all patient rooms are privet, there is a large atrium with trees, ponds and many plants and a walkway that winds through it, as well as a three story view.

When Bronson re-built, they stated they were going for a more "holistic aproch" to heath care, something many of us thought they were taking a huge gamble on, since they were building an entire new hospital.

I did not realize how much the hospital seems to be standing behind this philosophy until eating in the cafeteria this week, and I am so surprised at the difference.

There are signs all over the cafeteria that all beef served in the cafeteria is grass feed, free range, locally raised and that this provides better omega 3 and less cholesterol then other beef that is not similarly raised. They also had a smoothie stand, a huge salad bar, many vegetarian selections, I loved this cafeteria!

In fact, while I was sitting in the three story atrium next to the garden, eating my choice of vegetarian meals while my son and daughter chomped down on cheese burgers from beef I was not afraid they were eating, I was surprised more people didn't come to the cafeteria for the wide selection and variety, as well as healthy and local (when possible) for the salad bar, and always for the beef, not just because they were stuck in the hospital and had no other choice. This really made me wonder who was telling the cafeteria what to purchase and why. The same food is delivered to patient rooms, after they order from the menu of choices.

Especially when another local hospital has terrible food that is expensive and not healthy. This hospital recently (about a year ago), allowed a contractor to take over operations in the cafeteria in an attempt to give more "healthy meals." Yet the healthier meals are much more expensive than fried food. Maybe its job security as this is a heart hospital?

After thinking about it, I think it is in part the holistic approach, with smart dietitians who are leading the choices in the cafeteria. The entire hospital feels more alive, like a place of living rather than a place to die.

The other hospital has had huge budget cuts and lay offs in recent times that they attribute to the economy and the free health care they give to the community. I think they are losing patients to the better managed hospital that envisions health care as more than a way to boost profits.

The picture I attached is of my granddaughters last summer at the lake (one of my favorites that I hope to repeat every year). It has nothing to do with what I wrote, it is just a reminder that summer is almost here!

5 comments:

  1. I always think it's interesting that hospital food is not that great to eat. You would think cafeterias would go to greater effort, such as the one your husband is in, to provide healthy meals and environment. Personally, I feel so much better when I eat fresh foods, and my mood is greatly effected by the amount of natural lighting and vegetation around me.

    Its nice to hear that your hospital is embracing a way of operating that truley serves its patients' bodies and souls.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I found this blog as I was stumbling around and I think the various inputs and reflections are great!

    A point that you brought up strikes me. You point out that the healthier food options are more expensive. A lot of products found at health stores or in the organic sections tend to be pricier and this can be a problem because it makes healthy living seem like a luxury. There seems to be a trend with good health being associate with the middle and upper class. For example, many food deserts are located in impoverished areas leading to increased health disparities in these areas.

    I'm curious what your reflections are on sustainable lifestyles being a status symbol?

    ReplyDelete
  3. @ Kris - I read your post to my Dr. friend and she says of the hospitals she works in the healthy food is in minority to the not so healthy food.

    I think that as a society we are finally realizing that healthy means healthy everywhere and all the time instead of just at home or when we are on a diet. Its a nice turn but there is still so much awareness and engagement to actualize on that front.

    Thank you for bringing it into the conversation.

    ReplyDelete
  4. @ Suzy B. - You make a good point. There are people out there that flash around there Wholefoods bags like they are the recognized badges of good health. There is a ray of hope here though.

    I had this conversation with a friend of mine in Germany. She has been living in Berlin for years. She said at first the healthier organic foods were more expensive, but prices have come down as the average person has demanded healthier foods and almost every store has healthier foods.

    Germany has been doing this for longer, so lets hope we follow their trend. I noticed that in the six years I have been visiting Berlin, the number of healthy themed markets (Bio markets) have increased and the prices of the healthy food have come down.

    As for what we can do about our current situation. We as citizens of our cities or towns need to take responsibility for getting cheap healthy options into the poorer sections of town. We can do this by setting up partnerships with local farmers, bulk distributors, and small markets.

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Karyn I agree with your recommended solutions. I know that in Lansing, Quality Dairy is attempting to partner with local produce providers to have fresh foods available in their stores at an affordable price. Quality Dairy stores are essentially convenience stores dotted all around the area in many diverse neighborhoods. I'm excited to see where this partnership goes and while it's not the end all solution, it's a good step.

    ReplyDelete