Saturday, March 19, 2011

Deodorant, Toothpaste, Hair Stuff, Makeup: My To Do List

When we were voting on projects, I was somewhat reluctant to engage in the “chemical-free” portion of this class, not because I was worried about the challenges I’d face, but more because I was worried it wouldn’t be enough of a challenge. I don’t use nearly as many chemicals as most people I know. I clean my home with baking soda, vinegar, castille soap, and Murphy’s Oil Soap. I am very cognizant of the volatile organic compounds that I bring into my home, as I do have a lot of pulmonary problems. As a Great Lakes resident, I’m aware of the risks of phosphates in our dish and laundry soaps to our watershed. I already feel pretty good about this part of my ecological citizenship. However…when I challenge myself and look around my apartment, I have found the following chemical-laden products that I need to eradicate from my lifestyle: deodorant, toothpaste, hair products and makeup.

The deodorant was an easy fix. My goal was to find something aluminum-free, without fake fragrances (some of the more harmful chemicals out there). I went to my local Whole Foods and found some “Soothing Calendula” Tom’s of Maine deodorant. So far, I like the smell…but I don’t yet know about the antiperspirant power. I don’t wear deodorant everyday anyway (don’t tell), so it might take me awhile to figure out whether or not this meets my needs. My Plan B deodorant is actually the crystal method – some of my friends swear by it. We’ll see!

The next issue is my toothpaste. As someone who does NOT have dental insurance, I’m afraid to abandon my standard regiment without a dentist’s advice. So, I’ve made an appointment at a new environmentally-friendly dentist (God, I love living in Chicago…), and that’s one of the first questions I plan to ask.

Finally, we’re moving on to the two issues with which I will have the greatest trouble coming to terms: hair and makeup. I feel the need to share a little background here. I spent the majority of my childhood and young adult years paying VERY little attention to my appearance. I was never conventionally pretty (and never thought I could be), but I was always very confident in myself in other regards (e.g., academics, sports), so it was never really an issue for me. I didn’t dwell on it, because I didn’t have to. I was never teased, always had plenty of friends...life was good. I pulled my unruly curls back into a ponytail EVERYDAY. I wore a hooded sweatshirt, jeans, and gym shoes EVERYDAY.

There came a point in college, however, when it was no longer appropriate to wear jeans and hoodies in every setting. I was presenting at professional conferences, applying for fellowships, traveling internationally, serving as a student representative on panels, etc. Social norms said that I had to dress up. I had to turn to guidance from my friends, and found that I COULD in fact look nice when the occasion called for it – and that I actually kind of liked it. And now, I am a creature of habit. I have learned how to do two things that I find transform my appearance (it’s LITERALLY a façade): I can scrunch some mousse into my hair, and I can apply eyeshadow, liner, and mascara. Since I started using these products (maybe 4 years ago?), I have never changed my routine. Same brand, same amount, same everything. And, working in downtown Chicago in a somewhat public role, I feel like I need/want to maintain this look (a conscious choice after some extensive internal dialogue on the topic of social pressures and beauty stigma – do I want to look “this way” for me or for someone else?). So…what do I do?

This will be the major experimental piece for me for the remainder of the semester. I need to find some hair products that will successfully tame my frizz and curls without a bunch of heavy metals, fragrances, and chemicals. I also need to find some simple makeup that will, similarly, have less environmental impact. I have taken the first step: upon some friends’ (and Whole Foods employees') advice, I’m going the shea butter route with my hair. I bought Everyday Shea shampoo and conditioner, which I love so far:

Hooray for pronounceable ingredients, Fair Trade ethics, and a great Vanilla Mint scent! I also bought Beautiful Curls Curl Defining Hair Gel, which is made of chamomile, yarrow, aloe vera, certified fair trade shea butter, panthenol, coconut oil, and apricot fruit extract. So far…I’m unimpressed. And so, the coming weeks will involve some more research, and a new product. After pay day, I’ll also head out to shop for some new makeup. Wish me luck, and get excited for the next phase of my green makeover! (If only I could find a green hair salon in Chicago as easily as I found a green dentist…)

3 comments:

  1. Kristen, I am totally ready for the reality show "green makeover" staring you.

    On the deodorant front, you have probably heard this before, but give Tom's or the crystal, at least a month before you judge. It takes a while for them and your body to do whatever they do that enables the stuff to work.

    Good luck with the make-up and hair stuff. I am currently sporting a mohawk and was told by my hairdresser that I could get an environmentally friendly mascara to color the tips. I haven't been that motivated yet.

    Perhaps you will have better luck on the mascara front than you have had so far on the hair product front.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi KP,
    I do know the body shop has a line of make up that is supposed to be environmentally friendly, but somewhat pricey. I have not tried it yet, but am planning on as I run out. I think I saw a "green" line of make up at Macey's, but don't know how green it is, or how well it works, I just noticed it once.

    Good Luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. KP - kudos for going to such extents to try and use natural products. Let me know how the natural eye make-up products go.

    In the past I have made do with some rather odd beauty products when I found myself in situations without a store. Regular old baking soda while not sounding particularly nice, is actually a decent antiperspirant. It tends to glob a little so if you put it into a shaker it would probably work better. For a natural hair product, I have used straight glycerin in the past. It feels a bit weird, but I figured it was better on my hair than chemical products and it leaves a nice sheen.

    There are also many books on the market that give recipes for natural beauty products - some work better than others naturally. I know that Sage Mountain that was started by Rosemary Gladstar a world renowned herbalist, has a line of natural beauty products that they sell online. While I have not tried any personally I would trust products that she recommends.

    ReplyDelete