Sunday, March 20, 2011

Spring Cleaning

This week I reviewed our selection of household cleaners to look for ways we can improve.  Our vacuum does not use bags, and its filters can be cleaned but do not have to be replaced.  We have a selection of rags, which all enjoyed productive lives as towels and socks before finding their way to the rag bin.  We dust with a damp rag and wipe dry with another.  We do not use any furniture polish.  We also use vinegar and baking soda to clear drains among other things.  Occasionally, we rent a steam cleaner for the carpets, but we mix a small amount of Dr. Bronner’s Tea Tree or Peppermint Soap with hot water rather than the recommended chemical cleaners.


I had planned to make my own window cleaner until I discovered that my wife went on a buying frenzy sometime back when Seventh Generation Natural Glass & Surface Cleaner was on sale.  Since our windows get cleaned once or twice a year and we do not use much product on our surfaces, we now have a lifetime supply of cleaner.  While this product contains no phosphates, I used the Environmental Working Group’s (EWG’s) Skin Deep cosmetics safety database to assess the ingredients.  I discovered that two ingredients used as preservatives, methylisothiazolinone and benzisothiazolinone, rank as moderate risk on the database in a cosmetics application.  The European Union has noted environmental hazards associated with benzisothiazolinone as well.  Perhaps we can return the unopened bottles to the store...

We are currently using Ecos Magnolia & Lily Laundry Detergent, which boasts phosphate, formaldehyde, and petrochemical free.  However, the ingredients are more difficult to study because the label does not use the scientific names.  For example, many of the ingredients are “coconut oil based.”  I found derivatives of coconut oil ranging from 0-4 (or low to moderate risk) on EWG’s database.  Since I am uncomfortable with the quality of disclosure about our laundry detergent ingredients, I am interested in trying soapnuts.  Though they are not indigenous to my region, soapnuts are a dried fruit and compostable.  We use either vinegar or baking soda as a laundry softener; both work well.  However, my wife (who fancies herself a “Laundry Goddess”) doubles up on softener.  Therefore, we are also using Seventh Generation Compostable Natural Fabric Sheets in the dryer.  I was not able to find satisfactory information on the scary sounding “di-(palm carboxyethyl) hydroxy-ethel methyl ammonium methyl sulfates” in these dryer sheets.  Further, a palm-derived fatty acid is used, which I imagine is environmentally irresponsible in the same way that palm oil is.  Since we have plans to install a clothesline, we should be able to discontinue the use of these dryer sheets completely.


In the kitchen, we use a loofah instead of Brillo pads.  We also use towels and cloths, but we do keep unbleached, recycled paper towels on hand for cleaning up things like dog or cat vomit.  We have recently switched to Kirkland Liquid Dish Soap (from Costco), because it claims to be environmentally-friendly and is so darn affordable.  I find some of the ingredients, such as “plant-based cleaning agents,” “natural citrus scent,” “100% biodegradable preservatives” too vague.  I would like to find a replacement for this product.  However, since it comes in a giant jug, we might be using it forever.  In the dishwasher, we use Seventh Generation Automatic Dishwasher Detergent.  A few of the ingredients (citric acid, sodium silicate, and amylase) scored on the low end of moderate risk.  However, I did not find reliable information about the safety of polyaspartic acid, ppg-10-laureth-7, or sodium percarbonate.


Finally, in the bathroom, we use Biokleen Soy Cream Cleaner, which also contains a list of somewhat vague ingredients, like “environmentally-friendly polymer” and “surfactants from coconut and/or corn.”  All of the other ingredients were rated low risk on the cosmetics safety database.  Another item we use in the bathroom is Seventh Generation Disinfecting Wipes.  Whereas other cleaning products only leave behind recyclable containers, the wipes end up in the garbage, which is quite wasteful.  They are also redundant, since we have a glass and surface cleaner.  Lastly, the agent in the wipes is mostly unknown.  It is 0.05% Thymol and 99.95% other ingredients.  So, for a number of reasons, I plan to discontinue using these wipes.

A few years ago we bought some room sprays for our bathrooms at Pottery Barn: tupelo honey, ginger flower, and pomegranate.  At the time we thought these room sprays were delightful, but over time I have begun to perceive that they reek of chemicals.  There are no ingredients listed on the bottles, but there is a warning: “For room use only.  Do not spray directly on skin.  Keep out of reach of children.”  So this week I decided to make my own room spray.


First I emptied the remains of one of the bottles into kitty litter, which I discarded.  Then I washed the bottle with soap and hot water.  Then I mixed 1/2 oz. of rubbing alcohol, 3 oz. of distilled water, and about 20 drops of Aroma Véra Rosemary/Peppermint Oil into the empty bottle.  I shook it well and allowed it to sit for about an hour.  The mixture remained cloudy, but when smell-tested, we found the scent clean and fresh.  According to the inspiration recipe, the mix should keep for about one month.  This project feels like a great way to celebrate the first day of Spring.

3 comments:

  1. Hi Kim,

    I love that you made your own room spray. I had just read some on line articles about cleaning products and alternatives, as well as recipes for home made products and room spray. You will have to keep us updated with the room spray!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Kim! I love your description of all the new cleaning products you've made! I also am a huge fan of the EWG's Skin Deep database, since you sent me that link, I've spent a lot of time researching the products in my home. It's overwhelming. It is great to know that simple ingredients such as baking soda, vinegar, and hot water can be used to clean a bevvy of surfaces!
    Melissa

    ReplyDelete
  3. You will inspire the hords by your downsizing to real products that could actually biodegrade and not have to go to a toxic landfill. That should be the standard we set - if it can go in the compost, then it is useable. If not, shouldn't use it. Thanks for the EWG's Skin Deep database. Pretty impressive. Great resource.

    ReplyDelete