Sunday, March 6, 2011

Yeah, I'm going there. "Down there."

Since we started this project, I have only made two non-food related purchases: my hiking boots and, upon arriving in Boston during the last torrential downpour, an umbrella made in Pittsburgh of 60% post-consumer materials. I’m pretty proud of the restraint I’ve shown, even keeping my baking needs/desires in check by passing on the purchase of a Bundt pan and instead improvising the ridiculous 7up pound cake you see below.

However, my consumer avoidance must now come to an end. It is now “that time of the month,” and my medicine cabinet is on the empty side. I’m faced with a major consumer choice right now. Am I really prepared to purchase MORE sanitary napkins and tampons? Yeah, I’m gonna go there. If you don’t want to read about my girly business, I’d suggest you move on to another post.

OK, for me, I use about 20 sanitary napkins per menstrual cycle. I think that’s about normal (based on an informal survey of my friends). So, if you assume that most women menstruate 12 times per year, that comes to a total of 240 each year. Using my mother as a yardstick, it is very likely that I will menstruate for at least 40 years (side note: SERIOUSLY?! I hate thinking about this.). So, 240 times 40 is...9600 sanitary napkins in my lifetime. UGH. At $0.25 each, that’s $2400. Why am I crunching these numbers? To show that the choices we make regarding how we manage our danged periods actually have a pretty significant environmental and economic impact. Not only is that a LOT of waste, but sanitary napkins include a wide array of forestry and plastic products. (Check out this cool video by the Discovery Channel to learn more about how pads are made.) Many health researchers also assert that typical menstrual management methods can pose health risks (e.g., chemical exposure, toxic shock syndrome, etc.). So…all of this has me wondering, WHY do we continue to use these products? Why are such wasteful, unhealthy, expensive products so mainstream?

Women had alternate means of dealing with their periods for hundreds of years prior to the invention of the disposable pad in the 1880s – there are definitely other options out there. I have a few friends who use cloth, reusable menstrual pads, but I have a hard time imagining incorporating those into my lifestyle – I don’t think my roommates would appreciate “the bucket” in our bathroom, and I can’t figure out what I’d do at work. (If this is something that interests you/if you’re home more often than I am, check this out. Or this.) I also have several friends who use menstrual cups – they swear by them as the best option when doing field work, and since they are made of medical grade silicone, they have none of the same health risks as other menstrual products. This sounded like it could be a winner for me. And so, with my Urban Ecological Citizenship class in mind…I bought myself a Diva Cup today.

It’s too soon to tell whether or not I’m a permanent convert, but I have already managed the first few hurdles that had me concerned. First of all, I figured out how to put the darned thing in. And take it out. It also appears to be doing what it’s supposed to. I can’t feel it, so that’s good. And I have not yet “sprung a leak.” I’m glad to have a couple of days at home to figure this business out, but I really don’t think this is going to be a big deal. It might actually be MORE convenient than pads or tampons. We’ll have to wait and see.

That's enough on uber personal subjects for this post. But if you have further questions (and care to get specific in the comments), I'm happy to oblige as I hope to (even awkwardly) share this as a learning opportunity for all.

6 comments:

  1. Hey Kristen, Thanks for going there. I tried an another version of this contraption that didn't work so well for me. I am looking forward to trying this solution, so please do report back with your findings.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kristen, I'm happy you brought this up! I've always wanted to go 'there' in class, but didn't know how to start this discussion. I'm buying my first Diva Cup this month!

    I've always felt constrained by our feminine protection choices as they are limited yet plentiful in their health risks (like the warning leaflet in each tampon box explaining how you can die from TSS by using this product) Nonetheless, I've always used OB tampons because they are applicator-less, and this means less waste. UNTIL . . . in January Massachusetts had a severe shortage of the tampons. Huge mystery and I hounded my local drugstore when the new supply was coming in (hello systems thinking!). This news was even spread through wbur.org, and I just came across this painfully scary story about why they disappeared from the shelves.

    http://commonhealth.wbur.org/2011/01/johnson-johnson-o-b/

    It appears that these tampons have been a piece to a larger recall of many J&J products while the company deals with quality control issues such as moldy tylenol bottles and metal and wood parts in their rolaid chews (WTF?!?). I don't even want to think about what is in the tampons I bought. Here is a link to a larger story by the NYTimes. http://www.nytimes.com/2011/01/16/business/16johnson-and-johnson.html?pagewanted=1&_r=2&adxnnl=1&ref=b&adxnnlx=1299636029-q7qu4jvGZIQfoPPPVQ%20yzw

    Another scary part of this, is they never formally gave a recall to the tampons, they just disappeared then reappeared without any information as to why.

    It's sad when we as consumers are left in the dark about what is going on with the products we buy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ugh, that's disgusting, Melissa. I don't even want to think about it.

    FYI, I'm on Day 3 with my Diva Cup. I have biked, slept in awkward positions, been to the gym, and sat at a desk for a day...all with NO PROBLEMS. This thing is AMAZING! I only have to clean it out first thing in the morning and before bed, and I forget that I'm using it (WAY more comfortable than a tampon).

    I dubbed today TMI Tuesday because I walked around the office telling all of my lady friends how much I love this lifestyle change...

    DO IT, Y'ALL!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tried it for the first time today. I confirm the comfort factor.
    I think the tricky part comes in estimating when its time to empty the cup, which I suspect is a bit different for everybody.
    Oh, and make sure you remember to pay attention to the instructions for removal. Just sayin'.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey KP,

    I appreciate your going there as well. My daughter brought this up about 5 years ago even purchased something from the health food store in our area, but she didn't like them so I never tried. I did attend a function with my daughter where we made covers for using rags. I never tried this either...I still have the cover (never used) for many of the same reasons you have brought up. My daughter had asked if I had ever heard of the diva cup, I had not till then. Your post, along with the comments makes me think its about time, yet if your calculations are correct I only have a few years to go till I don't have to worry about it anymore. Guess I found one good thing about aging because I think I have had enough.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well had I not gone through "the change" 10 years ago, I would certainly be working with this option. I lived in the era of the sponge - you stuffed this sponge down there and then cleaned and washed it out and did it again. It was better than tampons and pads for sure.

    To critique your calculations KP, I would like to say that usually a woman has 13 periods a year... there are 13 full moons a year. 28 day cycles are the norm - or used to be before we disassociated ourselves from nature. (Ever wonder why the #13 was given a bad name - try mysogyny.) Anyway, with this new information, you would be spending even more money, polluting even more over your lifetime and feeling more guilty.

    So glad it is working so well for you - I think it is really a lovely thing. Puts you in touch with your body even more. Yeah for you!!! Who knew what a lifestyle change was in store for you - and look you already have folks in the cohort on board.

    ReplyDelete