Sunday, May 8, 2011

Dog Food


OK, back to my two dogs. I guess since my children are older and I cannot control what they say or do I have to try and control what I can, and that is with what my dogs eat, the shampoo that is used on them and the medications used on them.

I have used many dog foods over the years, often going with one for a while and then changing my mind. I used to use Science Diet but felt that left their stool to lose. Then Eucanuba was tried, but the price seemed high and they did not care for it.

I recently tried the Rachel Ray Naturals dog food that donates profits to humane societies. They seemed to like this but I think it has some fillers or something I don't understand in the ingredients.

My husband picked up the last bag of dog food, knowing what I was trying to do, no filler and natural ingredients that is not outrageously priced. He brought home a brand I don't think I would have chose, called "Lassie Naturals" which has lamb and beef main ingredients and seems to have other good ingredients and no filler. However, he paid almost twice what some of the other foods cost and the dogs are not very excited with it.

Since we have had this brand about a week, I will wait a little longer before I make any other decisions about it, my initial feeling is the search goes on for a good dog food with natural ingredients and no fillers that does not cost a lot. I did recently read about about a different brand on line, but have not checked to see if our pet food store carries it. If anyone has any suggestions please let me know!

1 comment:

  1. You might check on Royal Canine. I use that for my cats but I think there is still filler. High protein though. Also a friend of mine makes her dog food. Literally they treat their dog as if they had a child and they need to feed it several times a day. They buy meat at the store, they cook different things and they also sign up for road kill deer. When they get the deer they butcher it and put it aside for their dog for as long as it lasts. I admire them for their commitment to their dog family member. This dog doesn't know what dog food is. In case you wonder, they do feed him on the floor.

    ReplyDelete