Sunday, May 1, 2011

A Little Sun and Skincare Exposure

Spring has finally settled  here in Boston.  The sun is shining, warmth has replaced frigidity, and I found a winning concoction of baking soda, chamomile and apple cider vinegar for my hair. Totally winning all over the place.  Summer is just around the corner, and before I step out into the hot sun, humid weather and beaches, I want to make sure my skin is adequately protected by a sunscreen that is safe for me and the environment. 

Rays from the sun are becoming increasingly harmful to our skin from the depletion of the ozone layer.    According to the EPA: "Reductions in stratospheric ozone levels will lead to higher levels of UVB reaching the Earth's surface. The sun's output of UVB does not change; rather, less ozone means less protection, and hence more UVB reaches the Earth. Studies have shown that in the Antarctic, the amount of UVB measured at the surface can double during the annual ozone hole. Another study confirmed the relationship between reduced ozone and increased UVB levels in Canada during the past several years."

I'm well aware the sun can have damaging effects on my skin, but I have been a little bit naive as to how much it can effect my health. I always surmised that since I don't burn too much, I am at a low risk for skin cancers.  However, the American Academy of Dermatology pushes sunscreen on everybody – no matter your skin type since any sunburn increases your risk of melanoma, the deadliest skin cancer.  Year around everyone should use broad spectrum, water proof sunscreen even on days that are cloudy.  Broad spectrum means that it covers both harmful UVA and UVB rays.  In short the UVA rays cause you to age, can penetrate glass and suppress your immune system, making it harder for you to prevent the development of cancer.  UVB rays are the burning rays (B is for burning, A is for aging), and cause sunburn.  Both UV types can cause cancer with excessive exposure. 
Ok now that the cancer talk is over, let’s take a look at some of the ingredients the Academy of Dermatology says for you to look out for when choosing a brand that has broad spectrum coverage.  I cross referenced their list against the Environmental Working Group’s Skin Deep database and found some scary ingredients. 

Octyl methoxycinnamate – or octinoxate rates level 6 out of 10 for toxicity.  It is the most widely used ingredient for UV absorption and filter.  It has been known as an endocrine disrupter, targeting the thyroid, and estrogenic effects are noted in lab animals.

Oxybenzone:  This one is frightening, and is registered as 8 out of 10 for toxicity.  I’m pulling this info from Skin Deep, “Oxybenzone is a sunscreen ingredient associated with photoallergic reactions. This chemical absorbs through the skin in significant amounts. It contaminates the bodies of 97% of Americans according to Centers for Disease Control research.”    Even the CDC doesn’t like it. Reading through the horror of this accumulative ingredient, Skin Deep references many studies, but one in particular stood out.  One 2007 study showed where biomonitoring indicated 96% of 6 to 8 year old girls had detectable amounts of oxybenzone in their urine!  This ingredient is  restricted in Japan, but it gets the greenlight here. 

So effectively, by using many of the leading brands of broad spectrum, water proof sunscreens, I'm trading one environmental hazard for the other.  Either I get skin cancer from the sun, or I risk bioaccumulation and a compromised thyroid from suggested sunscreen brands recommended by the Academy of Dermatology.  Tough choice right?  Imagine how many people lather their babies with these harmful chemicals?  I encourage you to look at the studies on many of the chemicals listed on Skin Deep. 

I started to research the best sunscreen, and am delighted to report on Kabana Skin Care.  This is like the Dr. Bronners soap line without the Godliness. Aside from getting Skin Deeps seal of approval, glowing testimonials, this skincare line is 100% all natural, organic, with a deep commitment to fair trade and sustainable resource extraction for all their products

They also have a section on their website devoted to helping consumers pick safer sunscreens by exposing many of the origins in leading brands of sunscreens.  I thought I would expand more on what I found in Skin Deep here, as it is important for people to know what their skin, the largest organ on the human body is absorbing!

Taken from their sunscreen safety page:

"The FDA approved petrochemical sunscreens are the following: Avobenzone, also known as Parsol 1789, Octylmethoxycinnamate, oxybenzone, p-aminobenzoic acid (PABA), Cinoxate, Dioxybenzone, Ensulizole, Homosalate, Menthyl anthranilate, Octocrylene, Octyl dimethyl PABA, Octyl salicylate, Sulisobenzone, trolamine salicylate and recently approved terephthalylidene dicamphor sulfonic acid, which is also known as Mexoryl SX and marketed exclusively by L’Oreal under the Anthelios brand. L’Oreal owns the patent on Mexoryl.

Consumers should know that all of the petrochemical sunscreens can be absorbed through your skin and into your blood in quantities higher than any other petrochemical contaminant found in our environment, air or food. Petrochemical sunscreens have significant side effects as many mimic estrogen’s effects in our bodies. They often don’t biodegrade, accumulate in the watershed and can damage coral reef ecosystems. All are toxic, and by using these petrochemicals UV damage is traded for a measure of chemical damage instead.

Parents need to know the NONE of the petrochemical sunscreen active ingredients listed above are FDA approved for use on children and babies. In fact, none of these compounds are tested for SPF on children’s skin, so products that use these ingredients and are marketed as ‘baby’ formulas are misleading you."


I personally have no interest in slathering up to a summer of petrochemicals, and am disgusted that many dermatologists approve of their patients putting this on their skin.  Shouldn't they know how these chemicals are absorbed into peoples skin, and what they do?  Petrochemicals come from petroleum, which comes from OIL!  Who wants to put the same chemical compound on their skin as the stuff they put in their car?  This is insanity.

I haven't been able to try any of their stuff out just yet, but am definitely going to do so as their product line is incredibly inexpensive.  You can buy online, or at a few retail markets.  I will most certainly report back to this blog to my findings on this one. I highly encourage people to research what goes into their skincare.  Hope I didn't scare everyone from the sun, and Happy Summer!

3 comments:

  1. This is another issue I did not pay much attention to, but just did because I was told to do so (like putting flea/tick prevention on my dogs because a responsible owner does). My children have always had sun screen put on them before going outside, with me not paying attention to the chemicals, even when they were young, as you stated "baby" is a miss leading term. I will have to look for something that is less harmful as well. Thanks for pointing this out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good topic Melissa - it's so important to protect our skin from the sun but also to be careful about what we put on our skin!

    I recently started using Badger brand sunscreen, which is a New Hampshire product and is also a safe product. Check it out:
    http://www.badgerbalm.com/c-6-sun-care.aspx

    Badger sunscreens are highly rated on the Environmental Working Group's Cosmetic Safety Database, and they contain organic essential oils and organic cocoa and shea butters for moisture. I feel totally comfortable using this product on myself and Maddie!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks to both of you for suggesting two important sunscreen products. Your blog made me shutter about what we rub on babies. I will look for the Badger brand in my food Coop and will see also if they have Kabana. Great blog topic Melissa... timely. I usually don't wear sunscreen but just cover up - wear light pants and a long sleeve white shirt in the summer. A hat with a brim and hopefully I keep most of the burn from happening. That is also an option - but of course not when you are swimming. Coleen

    ReplyDelete