Monday, April 25, 2011

The Green, Green Grass of Home

We live in the suburbs, and, though I have dreams of a little urban homestead, our yard is currently used for flower beds, an herb garden, exercising our beastly puppy, and dinners on the patio.  Due to concerns for our health, the health of our highly sensitive pup, and my future plans to grow food and keep chickens and bees in our yard, it is important to me to eliminate chemicals.
Longing to Play Outside
To kill fire ants, we flood them with boiling water.  To remove poison ivy, we pull it by hand.  Fortunately, there is not much of either.  We also compost food scraps to nourish our lawn and house plants, as well as to reduce our contribution to either methane gas in the landfill or nitrogen bursts in the sewage system.
Happy Orchid

We currently maintain hot batch compost in the backyard and a worm bin in our house.

Hot Batch Compost Using Straw Instead of Leaves


Worm Bin
Last year we experienced a pretty significant drought, during which it seemed we lost much of our grass.  We do not water our lawn, but instead rely on rain for that.  We do have one large rain barrel, which in combination with a soaker hose does a nice job on the herb garden and flower beds.  However, without a pump, there is not sufficient pressure to actually water the lawn.  (We do have plans to add a pump and a few more rain barrels when we put in a large garden.)

We had been using a company called NaturaLawn of America, which claims to be The Leader in Organic-Based Lawn Care.  They did a great job with weed control in our yard.  However, we became skeptical about what ingredients were actually being used and what “organic-based” really meant.  Further, we were looking for an opportunity to cut expenses, so we cancelled that service.  I decided to battle the weeds myself instead.  How hard could it be, right?
The growing season in Charlotte began long ago.  The weather has been moderate since February, so vegetation has been in full swing here for a while.  Enter the Henbit!  I am told that bees love the stuff.  However, it is so prolific that, if I allowed it to, it would take over the yard.  My strategy was white vinegar and a pump sprayer typically used for weed control with toxic substances.


Weapons of Choice
I selected a patch clearly moving toward our yard from the neighbors' as a test area.  This patch was in the direct sun, and I sprayed liberally.  I soon realized that I would need lots and lots of vinegar!  Within one day, the weeds began to yellow.  Within one week, they appeared mostly dead.  Then a rain came and to my surprise the weeds began to rally.  That was not a part of the plan.  So I decided to pull the weeds in the test area, which easily loosened their grip on the soil.

February 6
February 8
February 20 (Notice Henbit with Purple Blossoms Flourishing in Background)
I became concerned that the quantity of vinegar would also prevent grass from growing in the test area, so I selected a second test area near the driveway for my new and improved method.  This time I would pull the weed and spray the remaining root or hole in the ground directly to insure a targeted kill.  I have used this method in several areas, and it appears to have worked well so far.  As always the weeds are much easier to pull after a heavy rain, but this method is still labor intensive.  For treating broad leafed weeds with large tap roots, of which we have relatively few, spraying copious amounts of vinegar directly on the weed has been extremely effective.  In these instances, no pulling is required.  The battle of the weeds is far from over, but I am holding my own.  I find that devoting time daily is the best way to keep the upper hand.  So much for a miracle cure...
Lastly, I must report on a disheartening development.  As I was writing this entry, I went outside to survey the treated areas.  A man, likely a relative of our neighbors, was spraying some toxic Round-Up style chemical attached to their garden hose broadly across their lawn adjacent to ours.  Our backyard is fenced, but there was a strong breeze.  Since he was spraying near our fence, which is several feet from my compost pile, and all along the property line, I was quite concerned.  The wind does not respect property boundaries.  I engaged him in conversation, and requested that he keep the spray far away from our yard.  However, he was not a native English speaker, and I am not certain he fully understood my request.  I could smell the chemicals strongly even as I walked away from the area, and I felt them in my throat and tasted them in my mouth.
If I had not gone outside when I did, I might never have realized these chemicals were being used next door.  This experience reminded me about the interconnectedness we have with our communities.  When we plant our garden next year, we could easily be eating our neighbors herbicides and pesticides if some education does not occur.  Fortunately, our neighbors are extremely nice and cooperative, so I hope that we can work together to insure a healthier environment for all - most especially their young children who play in the area now covered in spray.

8 comments:

  1. Hi Kim,
    I will definitely share your yard-care tips with my parents.
    I have never seen a worm bin that sexy looking before. Where did you get it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Karen,

    This sexy worm bin is the Worm Factory 360. It is made in the US from recycled, food grade plastic. Ours is "newish," and I have had some problems achieving the correct moisture levels compared to my old bin which was a large Rubbermaid container with holes in it. We got the new one primarily because of the spigot. The old one just drained from the bottom, which meant we left it in the tub of our guest bathroom. It made the tub icky, and the bin was difficult to relocate when we had overnight guests.

    You can find them at http://www.baregreen.com/worm-factory-360.html (among other places), which is my friend Stefan's business.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I admire your perseverance in the face of weeds and can relate to educating a few doesn't always work when there are many involved. At least you have neighbors that are friendly and have children. The fact that they have children may make them particularly receptive to your education to the evils of toxic chemicals. I often wonder how to let people know that damage they are causing is not just to themselves but to others also. I think this is a major area of concern for environmentalists and something I have pondered often.

    I think elementary school children can be an answer, not just because they are often the most susceptible to the ill effects of chemicals, but they will listen more to reason sometimes than their adult counterparts who are often set in their ways. I enjoy hearing children talk about how we need to protect the environment.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I remedied the Rubbermaid bin drainage issue by using a second lid UNDER the bin in which the worm tea collects. I empty it into my flowerpots once a week or so.

    I've also had successful bins in which I did NOT drain the worm tea - I just added more bedding every time I opened the bin to soak up the liquid. This is fine if you don't WANT the worm tea.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, right. The original comment I wanted to post before Karyn distracted me. :)

    This article was published in 2006:

    http://chicagoconservationcorps.org/blog/wp-content/uploads2/2008/08/L14%20Please%20stay%20on%20the%20lawn.pdf

    It shows that as many as 21% of lawn owners in the Chicagoland area are interested in "organic lawn treatment," and it gives some decent suggestions (although I question others - does organic really require more watering?).

    Despite your southeastern-ness, you might also check out the Midwest Ecological Landscaping Association's website: http://www.melaweb.org/ They're pretty cool people. In collaboration with about a gajillion other awesome gardeners, they're putting on the "Green and Growing Fair" this weekend (which I will sadly miss due to our class in Boston). Just looking at the list of attendees, though, makes me happy and hopeful. http://greennetchicago.org/events/green-growing-fair

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, your right, what your neighbors and community does really does affect your yard/health.

    My husband attempted, at my urging, using a local, "natural" yard service last year for keeping the lawn like he wants, with no chemicals, like I want. It didn't work to well and he is trying to find alternatives for this year. Our neighbors on each side have lots of dandelions so I am sure he will not wait very long.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sorry, I was so distracted by your sexy worm bin that I forgot to tell you how wonderful your orchid looks! I have tried to grow them for years but can never get it to live after bringing it home from the store or never having it again blossom. Yours is absolutely gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like your scientific approach - try out different areas of the yard. Test sites. This helps give you some input... but if it gets sprayed and you don't know it, your study could be skewed... yes we all are interconnected. We take this so for granted or it just passes over our heads.
    Dandelions Kris? Why do men hate them so? What is that all about?

    ReplyDelete