Sunday, April 10, 2011

Scent of a Woman

Have you ever wondered what makes me smell, well, just so damn good?  Wonder no more!  My secrets are revealed below.
I have been scrutinizing my toiletry and cosmetics choices for over a year, and this project is the perfect opportunity for me to review my progress and identify areas for improvement.  Many women cannot imagine going without makeup, but I do not use it at all.  I am unwilling to invest the time primping and makeup does not fit with my tomboy image.  I bathe with goat’s milk soap, which I found at the farmers market earlier this semester.  In the shower, I gently apply a facial scrub made by mixing used coffee grounds and honey.  (We still do not have the ratio just right, and it is more abrasive than I prefer.)  I also use organic extra virgin olive oil as a moisturizer; it takes only a small amount.  However, the olive oil provides no protection from the sun.


Below are the items I commonly purchase at the grocery:
Beauty Without Cruelty (BWC) Volume Plus Shampoo & Conditioner - These products are certified organic, 100% vegetarian, not tested on animals, and packaged in recyclable plastic bottles.  They do rate moderately hazardous on the Environmental Working Group’s Skin Deep website, due to potassium sorbate, cananga odorata (ylang ylang) oil, and cocamidopropyl betaine.
Dr. Bronner’s Magic Peppermint/Spearmint Shaving Gel - Truthfully, I could probably use my goat’s milk soap for my shaving needs, but I do not grow wispy, dainty hair.  My hair is of the hardy variety, and the peppermint/spearmint gel works well for keeping razor burn at bay.  Plus, the product is certified organic and fair trade, not tested on animals, and packaged in a recyclable plastic tube rather than the typical metal cans.  (Disclaimer: I am not advocating plastics!)

Preserve Razors -These razors are made primarily from recycled Stonyfield Farms yogurt cups.  The razors are meant to be returned at end of life in their packaging, which doubles as a travel case, for reuse.  They can be returned by mail, or to any Whole Foods Market, which Charlotte unfortunately does not have.  Both the razor handles and packaging can be recycled with municipal plastics as well.  Since the first razor I bought still works fine, I have not needed to recycle one yet.  Of course the blades must be replaced periodically, so there is some waste.
Maxim Organic Cotton Swabs - What can I say?  Guilty pleasure!  I know these are controversial for a variety of reasons, but I absolutely cannot stand to have water in my ears after my shower.  And towels are just too thick to do an adequate job.  However, over a year ago, I did reduce my usage 50% by using only one swab after my shower instead of two.

Crystal Essence Mineral Deodorant Roll-On (Pomegranate) - First of all, I have never been able to use a roll-on in my life.  I am opposed to all things sticky.  Yet this deodorant feels pleasantly creamy to my pits.  As far as odor control, I have tried a wide variety of eco-friendlier deodorants previously without success, but this stuff works!  It is paraben-free, contains no aluminum chlorohydrate, and the bottle is recyclable.  According to EWG, this product rates as a low hazard with the caveat that the company is non-compliant with fully disclosing its ingredient list.  Grumble, grumble...


Desert Essence Natural Tea Tree Oil Toothpaste (Fennel) - I have an aversion to licorice, which is what fennel tastes like.  Nevertheless, this toothpaste does give my mouth a decidedly clean feeling, which has not been true of the many other eco-friendlier choices I have tried.  The toothpaste is fluoride and sodium lauryl sulfate free, but EWG says that the company has not signed The Compact for Safe Cosmeticswhich, among other things, means that they may not disclose all ingredients.  Therefore, even though, the toothpaste is rated low hazard, that rating could be misleading.  Further, the tube does not appear to be recyclable.



Crest Glide Deep Clean Floss (Cool Mint) - There are three issues I can think of with this floss.  First, the company does not disclose what they use to coat and flavor the floss.  Secondly, floss is just so wasteful.  The hard plastic case is recyclable, but all of the floss goes into the trash.  And I use lots of floss!  I like a clean section on each side of every tooth.  After all, what is the point in threading a dirty section between your teeth?  I have read the recommendation that a gum stimulator can be used instead of floss, but a gum stimulator does not seem to clean as well between teeth.  Finally, buying Crest products patronizes the giant multinational corporation Procter & Gamble.

Tea Tree Therapy Mouthwash - This tea tree based mouthwash is alcohol free.  Interestingly, neither this product nor the company are listed in the EWG database.  I did look up all of the ingredients listed on the recyclable bottle, which were primarily listed as low hazard.  However, the company may not have disclosed all of the ingredients.  Additionally, “mint flavor” is vague, and sorbitol, while listed as low hazard, has been associated with cancer.

V’TAE Vanilla Body Mist - The true secret to my scent is vanilla.  I always use some type of perfume or body spray with a vanilla base.  My latest option from V’TAE comes in a recyclable bottle, but is not listed on the EWG database.  However, the first ingredient, alcohol made from corn (SD40), is considered a moderate risk.  I imagine that the corn is probably genetically-modified as well.  Again I find some ambiguity on the ingredient list, such as fragrance and other essential oils.  Even though essential oils sound harmless, they can range from low to high hazard on the EWG database.
TRESemmé Tres Two Spray Ultra Fine Mist - Finally hairspray, my toiletry vice!  When the hairdryer is off, my hair is like limp noodles!  If I gave up my hairspray habit, then I may as well walk around all day with bed head.  It would be an equally attractive, more efficient option.  However, when I use hair spray, I always wonder about the particulates I am breathing.  I have tried BWC’s hairspray, but it is more a stream of liquid than a fine mist.  Surprisingly, EWG lists my current non-eco-friendly hairspray as a moderate hazard.  However, once again, the company has not signed The Compact for Safe Cosmetics.  Of the ingredients listed on the label, the primary questionable item is fragrance, which is a high hazard ingredient because of its unknown nature.  Fragrances can be harmless or toxic.  When the source of the fragrance is undisclosed, one cannot tell the difference.  Sigh...  (On a positive note, Charlotte recycles aerosol cans!)

As you can see, I still have plenty of room for improvement.  I will review the changes I have made in my next post, Scent of a Woman, The Sequel.  Coming soon to a blog you are reading!




5 comments:

  1. I absolutely must have your face scrub recipe, or at least the proportions of coffee and honey. It sounds amazing and a great use of coffee grounds! I currently use Burt's Bees Peach and Willowbark face scrub but your product would save me money, packaging, and product.

    I also really appreciate your post about the Preserve razors. I've always felt kinda guilty buying razors and make sure that I keep the handle portion for as long as possible and only buy replacement blades. The next time I need to buy a razor, I will absolutley purchase this razor - thanks for enlightening me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will attest to the amazing qualities of that coffee/honey face scrub. I've been using it daily since our last class, and have had 2 unsolicitied compliments on my youthful and glowing face (and turned a few of my friends onto the scrub)! I also don't have to moisturize as much, and my skin tone is much more even. There will never be another face wash in my shower. It is becoming all the more clear that the many ingredients in our face washes, body lotions, etc., are just hype and not needed. It is so much easier and cheaper to simplify your ingredient list. Furthermore, I'm amazed at how entrenched and easily won over we are to the woos of the next cosmetic cream based on a piece of copy in the adverts.

    Also, thanks for the tip on the razor - I've been using the same razor for like 6 months (gross, I know) because I don't want to toss it, and haven't found a respectable replacement. This is very timely as short sleeved shirts are right around the corner . . .

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Kim,
    Thanks as well for the razor tip. I had seen that brand in Wholefoods but did not know you could bring them back to the store.

    Also, believe it or not I stopped using face wash in high school. It seemed to cause more problems than it solved for me. Up until now, I have just used water.

    I have been using a moisturizer though and would like to substitute it with something else. . .

    Perhaps the scrub will have the same effect that it did on Melissa and I won't find I need the moisturizer as much. Also, it might just be the much needed antidote for all of the pleasant acne outbreaks I've had since I completed my last dose of steroids. I feel 14 again!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Kim,

    Wow. I don't think I use a lot of products till seeing your list, then thinking about what I use. I will have to look for the razors as the ones I have cut my legs up for the last time last night.
    I have a face scrub I think I mentioned that is made out of "golden brown sugar, organic crystallized sugar cane and strawberry seeds" according to the ingredients, and is made by C O Biggelow Apothecaries but I would assume could be home made easy enough. The stuff works so good, even skin that the scrub touches as its rinsed feels great after using it. Since its almost gone I will attempt to make some soon and let you know how it goes. Maybe that gives you some ideas for your next scrub making!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Kris! I am interested to hear how your homemade facial scrub turns out. Keep us posted!

    ReplyDelete