Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Balanced Households


What does one do with those random leftover cleaning products that conscious environmentalists are afraid to throw away in fear that they will contaminate the groundwater?

Well, the Rhode Island Resource Recovery Corporation website says that their Ecodepot takes Hazardous Household products but does not list cleaners on their list. Confusing. So I called them. It turns out they do in fact accept household cleaners, so I can finally get rid of the last of my household known toxins. The RIRRC has certain collection days at their center in Johnston, RI and they visit different towns from time to time. Finally, this Saturday I can get rid of my remaining household cleaners and paint cans.

On the greener household cleaner front, I have been using baking soda and vinegar to clean for some time but I did not know how to properly clear my drain. Kim enlightened me that the addition of hot water to this mixture would clear my drain and I am happy to report results in the affirmative.

The only remaining cleaning solution I needed was for shower mold. I found this recipe for cleaning mold on the RIRRC website:

Mold killers - 2 teaspoons tea tree oil and 2 cups water. Combine in a spray bottle, shake to blend, and spray on problem areas. Do not rinse. Makes two cups. The RIRRC page has a whole list of green cleaning recipes.

My gross shower, which has looked this way since I moved in, has been scrubbed by many a concoction and is looking forward to smelling nice, if not actually becoming cleaner.

In class, Kim introduced us to a database called, Skin Deep, which provides an analysis of the negative effects of the ingredients in cosmetics and other personal care products. Each product also gets its own overall score from 0-10, 0 being the greenest. So I took a look at what I was I using to see where I could improve.

My major self care items include: Tom’s of Maine Lavender Deodorant (2), Avalon Organics Lavender shampoo (5), Dr. Bronner’s almond castile soap (2), and Avalon Organics Vitamin C facial cream (4).

According to Skin Deep, it looks like I could switch to using Crystal Deodorant (0) and cut out the Lavender shampoo altogether (I mean really, I don’t usually have that much hair anyway, I can use the castile soap). As for a comparable moisturizer, there were many to choose from that came up with a zero. I think this one is probably the closest to what I am using: Image Skincare - Enhance 25% Vitamin C Facial Enhancer. Now to see if I can find it!

It will be a nice feeling when this blog section is through and we all have more balanced feeling households.

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for the info on the RIRRC website. I will definitely check it out. This coming weekend is my cooperative's spring cleaning day and I know that we are constantly dealing with the mold issue in the showers. I will try the tea tree oil combination on them.
    Thanks also about the reminder of the "Skin Deep" website. I need to check out more of the products I am using on it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so happy that you posted that tip on how to get rid of shower mold. I have asthma, and one of the triggers is mold. Just last fall I had a severe attack from the mold in my parents shower, and have noticed a few colonies creeping up in my shower. I was going to have maintenance re-grout, but I will try this first.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello,

    I am still laughing from your hair joke! I appreciate the shower mold recipe as well! Also, I have wondered what to do with the old cleaners that remain in my house but not used. I will have to check for a similar program here.

    ReplyDelete