Sunday, April 3, 2011

What Would June Do?

When I started thinking about this portion of our class project, the reduction of chemicals in the home, I started to think about June Cleaver. As the archetypal American mother, June kept the Cleaver household spotless. What kinds of products did she use to keep the sheets white and the floors gleaming? Bleach and Mr. Clean, or plain old baking soda and water? Above all else, I like to think that June had the health of her boys in mind when selecting products for her home. Although I do not aspire to be June Cleaver (Claire Huxtable is more my kind of gal), I do care most about the exposure of my family to chemicals and chemical residuals making their way into wastewater effluent. I started by taking stock of what cleaning products I have in my home. I was amazed and a bit ashamed that there were so many! I have bleach, Draino, car upholstery cleaner, Comet, Seventh Generation products of all kinds (wipes, dish soap, dishwasher detergent, laundry soap, toilet bowl cleaner), Arm and Hammer carpet powder, Nature’s Miracle, Windex, Murphy’s Oil Soap, and Mrs. Meyer’s Lemon Verbena all-purpose cleaner. Wow – not good! To my credit, I do not use many of these products. The bleach was inherited from the previous owner of my house 4 years ago, and I can’t remember the last time I used Comet, Nature’s Miracle, or the car upholstery cleaner. Fortunately, my city hosts an annual springtime household hazardous waste day, so I plan to unload several of the above products at the public works department for appropriate disposal. The things I use the most are made by Seventh Generation and consist primarily of plant-based compounds. The Mrs. Meyers cleaner is also plant based, phosphate free, and the company does not test on animals. Even Murphy’s Oil Soap is biodegradable, phosphate free, and is recognized by EPA as “chemically safe”. Even though I primarily use “green” cleaning products, I still don’t like to use them around my daughter. Seventh Generation products still contain synthetic preservatives. I also noticed that a lot of the essential oils are from tree bark. Were these oils produced sustainably? So, I set a goal for myself. GOAL: reduce the ingredients in household cleaners to only those that I also cook with. Because I use all-purpose cleaners for… well….. everything, I started there. Like most people who make their own household cleaner, I used white vinegar and baking soda. I also wanted a pleasant scent, so I added fresh lemon zest to the mix. Over time, the lemon oils will infuse the cleaning solution for a great fragrance.

The cleaner worked so well on the kitchen floor and bathroom fixtures, that I didn’t even notice my heels and pearls! I also mixed a paste of lemon juice and baking soda to work out stains on the kitchen counter. Lemons are not local, so I purchased a lavender plant and lavender seeds, so that I can cultivate a crop of the wonderfully fragrant herd. As the plant matures, I plan to incorporate lavender into multiple homemade products around the house.


I'm really excited about eliminating chemicals from my home and replacing all of them with homemade, food-grade solutions. I think June would be proud!

4 comments:

  1. Liz,

    I loved the humor and creativity of your post. Kudos! I also found it very engaging because I share your goal of eliminating even the "green" cleaners and using home made, food grade products. In addition to being concerned about Joselle's and my health, Rangeley is uber-sensitive.

    When I wrote my post about cleaners, I focused on the cleaners we use. However, I must admit that over time we have accumulated a variety of cleaners that we never use. A couple of months ago, Joselle gathered them from their hiding spots and placed them in bags in the garage. I imagined my county collected this stuff, but your post gave me the prompt I needed to check that out. As it turns out, Mecklenburg County collects household hazardous waste (including cleaners) year-round, and one of the drop-off sites is 6.7 miles (a 14 minute drive) from my house. I was also pleased to discover that the county provides lists of information on non-toxic cleaning solution recipes, which they have actually borrowed from a variety of sources. See the link below.

    (http://charmeck.org/mecklenburg/county/SolidWaste/HouseholdHazardousWaste/Pages/Non%20Toxic%20Cleaning%20Solutions%20Recipes.aspx)

    Your post also reminded me of an offer my mother made yesterday. The growing season is in full swing down south, and mom has an abundance of lavender. She told my sister and me that we could have as much as we wanted. Nice!

    Thanks for your inspiring post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just found out that my City's annual household hazardous waste day was cut from the budget. Boo! I'm happy to wait to hold onto paint cans, etc. for another year, but I worry that many other people may resort to tossing their household HW into the trash and eventually a landfill. While budgets are under pressure everywhere, it is critical to safely and responsibly dispose of these materials! Restoring our City household hazardous waste day is on my list of To Dos for the sustainability committee.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah - can't believe your role on the sustainability committee will be such a good watch dog role for these kinds of budget cutting travesties. I grew up with June Cleaver and I am guessing that she used Mr.Clean... the most toxic of cleaners that they probably still sell though I am not even aware because I don't go in those isles in the grocery store. Your humor was wonderful but more important - your picturs. June would indeed be proud - though I don't think you used any hair spray in your hair and she might think you were alittle too informal for posing for pictures that goes on the web and ultimately all over the world. You need to be more careful girl... your image is at stake.
    Doing an inventory is such a good thing and is startling to actually assess what you can and cannot live without. Having a little one in the house is such good motivation for this. You are being the responsible parent.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Liz! Your facial expressions are priceless in these photos as you were trying to channel June Cleaver! I laughed out loud. I really like the idea of only using chemicals you cook with to clean your house. It makes sense - our skin is the largest organ in the body, and it's the most exposed to our environment! If we are constantly touching or using things that are cleaned with toxic chemicals than we are ingesting those chemicals directly through our skin, we certainly wouldn't eat them, so why should we use them in our environment?

    ReplyDelete