Sunday, May 1, 2011

Springtime Lawncare

Spring has sprung, and I have been working in the yard to prepare our garden and yard for summer. Many of our current landscaping practices embrace our chemical and resource reduction philosophy. Our rain barrel collects stormwater from half of our roof, and we use the water to sustain all our plantings throughout the summer.



Our backyard compost bin is also starting to bustle after being frozen all winter. Not only does the compost enrich the soil in our vegetable and flowers beds, but we also use a compost “tea” for fertilizing potted plants. Instead of applying plant food, we use rinse water “tea” from our under-the-sink kitchen composter (we simply swish water from the rain barrel in the compost container and pour the mixture around potted plants). The “tea” is rich in coffee grounds, so the mixture also releases a pleasing aroma!

The father of a friend of mine is a chemist working for Terracycle, a company that was founded 10 years ago by a Princeton freshman who started making organic fertilizer out of worm castings (poop) and packaging it in used soda bottles. My friend kindly supplied me with an array of Terracycle products, and I love them! While Terracycle manufactures all kinds of products and packaging (lunch bags, backpacks, accessories) out of traditionally non-recyclable materials, like juice boxes and potato chip bags, I use the worm casting plant food. I don’t use the product often, mostly when planting perennial bulbs in the fall, but this product does wonders for new or struggling plantings.

The only thing still in need of attention in our yard is grubs. I hate them! I’m not someone who needs a weed free lawn, but I also don’t want to see my small yard destroyed by these pests. In the past, we’ve used a pretty nasty chemical to treat a few intense grub infestation, but I was not about to do that again! After doing a just a bit of research, I found an organic product, Monterey’s All Natural Turf Grub Control, which can be applied as a preventative treatment and/or mitigation measure for grubs. The active ingredients include clove oil, peppermint oil, garlic oil, and malic acid. The other ingredients are various clays and acids, all of which register as low threats on the Skin Deep website. I will consider using this product at the first sign of grubs later in the summer and early fall.

In the meantime, I have already implemented some simple, safe preventative measures for grubs as suggested on the organiclawncare101 website. The website suggests letting the lawn dry between watering, because grubs love moisture. I already don’t water the lawn, and in the past few years at least, we’ve received ample rainfall. As a result, our soil is usually very moist. Because grubs winter in the deep soil and surface to eat grass roots in the spring before burrowing back down to a depth of 6-8 inches, I decided to do what I could to keep the top few inches of soil dry. First, I raked up all the thatch (dead grass) from the lawn. Thatch not only holds moisture but it acts as a barrier between birds and grubs. Sadly, I don’t have chickens, so I added a bird feeder to the tree close to where grubs have been a problem in the past. My hope is that dry surface soil and an abundance of birds will keep grubs at bay. In the event that grubs do appear, I vow to not use nasty chemical treatments but will consider using the organic product.

Spring is one of my favorite seasons, and I feel good about keeping my yard beautiful AND safe.

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for the garden tips Liz! This is the first time I have had grubs in my garden! Ewww.
    I think I may have left the leaf cover on too long. . .

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Liz,

    The worm fertilizer sounds interesting! What a great idea to add a bird feeder to attract more birds to your yard so they can eat the grubs! I will bring this up to my husband who is obsessed with a green lawn.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the idea of putting bird feeders near where you get the grubs. That is clever. I will be curious to see if it works. An Ecological Teaching and Learning MS student a few years back started her own worm casting business and called it Worm Java. She has just recently quit doing it though I think she is still thinking about giving it another go. She just didn't have the financial backing. I have used it on my plants and they are so happy when I give them some. Good stuff that worm pee.

    ReplyDelete