Friday, February 4, 2011

"The Checklist"...in progress

We all acknowledge the importance of a good support system in our efforts as environmental leaders. For me, my support system includes my co-workers, friends, and family. I wrote the following email to them to explain my current efforts and justification, and to ask for their support and insight. I thought the beginnings of that correspondence might help others discern their own thoughts and beliefs…

____________

Hello, m’dears!

My Urban Ecological Citizenship class met for the first time last weekend, and I once again find myself inspired and energized by the projects and efforts we have underway. One of the most interesting (and perhaps challenging) efforts we have planned involves a “social experiment” of sorts. For the next several months, we have all vowed to be extremely conscious of our consumer habits in an effort to “walk the talk” with our dollars. How do we consider ecological benefits with our purchases? Well, that’s a really great question…and that’s part of what we’re going to collectively (try to) figure out and document with this blog.

We discussed many aspects of the ecological impacts of consumerism as a class (e.g., geographic origin, materials, packaging, etc.). The challenge in all of this, from my perspective, is that these decisions are never cut and dry. In many instances, you can’t have an “all or nothing” approach (“I want to get a reused cookie sheet originally produced within 100 miles of my home and made of 100% recycled aluminum!”), or else you’ll go home with…nothing. Thus, I have considered my own values to create a prioritized checklist:

1. Need: Do I really need to buy this? Can I make do without it, or repurpose something I already own?
The most ecological thing to do is to refrain from using resources (energy, materials, etc.) in the first place.

2. Reused: Could I get this item reused (from a friend, at a consignment store or thrift shop, etc.)?
Someone else already made the decision to purchase this item, so I don’t personally use any virgin resources AND I keep something from going to the landfill.

3. Buy Local: Can I buy this from a local store or business (or of locally-sourced materials)?
These (often smaller) businesses have more control over their purchasing practices, and I am willing to use my (loud) voice to encourage them to offer ecologically sound options, while supporting the local economy. Also, local materials require less energy use in transport as they do not have as far to travel.

4. Business Practices: Can I buy this from a store or business with good ethics, regarding the planet/people?
If I give good companies my money, I’m encouraging them to continue making good choices as vendors/manufacturers. While there are lots of considerations in this regard, I am mostly looking to avoid companies with obvious warning signs (e.g., child labor, lack of appropriate certification, no regard for environmental protection).

5. Eco-friendly Materials: Can I buy this item made at least in part of recycled, recyclable, organic, compostable, or non-petroleum-based materials? This brings the rest of the supply chain into consideration and is where things can get messiest – because how can you prioritize recycled content over organic content? However, it might also be where an easy determination can be made – a product with NO environmental considerations versus a product with at least one. I will have to be extra careful of greenwashing with this one, though – I’m open to any recommendations anyone might have.

6. Minimize Waste. All other things considered, can I buy this item with less packaging? Of recycled or recyclable packaging?

Whew. OK. So, now I turn to all of YOU for a few things:

· Patience. As I hem and haw over what I will buy. As I become much less fun as a shopping buddy. As I whine in frustration at times.

· Insight. What do you think of my checklist? What would you do differently? Where do you think I should shop in Chicago?

· Support. You don’t have to take this project on yourself. You don’t have to understand why I’m doing it. But I ask you to not make my life any more difficult with cynicism or mocking. Thanks! J

And, if you’re interested, feel free to follow our blog – the rest of my cohort is posting there as well! urbanecologicalcitizen.blogspot.com

Much love,

Kristen

2 comments:

  1. Hey Kristen,this is Kristen (not your conscience, but the other Kristen), I love the way you introduced your family and friends to the site and your user friendly classifications or goals!

    ReplyDelete
  2. KP - I wrote a comment and see that it didn't publish it. I like how you started from the place of asking whether you even need the item, and then went down the list in a least impactful hierarchy. It is a good way to organize the choices that face us. I think as we all look at this checklist we can find it helpful to get it etched in our brains so that we can use it on the spot. I think just the process of figuring out how you will approach all of this is part of the ecological consciousness that gets deepened. It is the process not the outcome sometimes that is the most important - though in this case I do think it is the outcome. I find that even though myself and others know better, we continue to consume certain things simply because we love them or want them. It is a momentary self-centered decision that has long lasting effects - how to do this gently with ourselves until finally it is habit to be conscious for the long haul.
    I hope your friends are not that cynical that they won't see the value in what you are doing. It doesn't really matter though what they think does it? You must be true to yourself. Coleen

    ReplyDelete