Monday, February 7, 2011



Made in Michigan

I am fortunate to have a locally owned chain grocery store close to my house (within 1/2 mile) called Meijers. This chain was started in Grand Rapids, MI and has expanded to many surrounding states. While they carry national brands, they also carry an organic Meijers brand that I use often, as well as having a bulk section. The store will place produce that is locally grown at the store front, when they have it. This is most often blueberries, peaches, strawberries and the like, when in season.

Meijers contributes a great deal to local communities in various ways. The score board at our high school was donated by the store. The hospice my mother was in prior to her death receives many contributions from the store and had a kitchen with all utensils for family members use during the long hours, as well as providing juice, pudding cups and other snacks that Meijers paid for. Meijers had done similar things in various communities through out Michigan and I would assume other states where they have stores. We also have Meijers Garden in Grand Rapids that is absolutely wonderful and if any of you ever visit Michigan I would suggest making this a stop.

Since I was shopping the same store as I usually shop I decided to change what I purchase. I love enchiladas and can easily make a vegetarian batch and a batch for my husband and son that contains meat. But instead of purchasing canned sauce or re fried beans I decided to make everything from scratch. Additionally, instead of buying cheese that is already grated, I bought a huge block of cheese that I will grate with my food processor. I also found some things that were made in Michigan, like the pasty's in the above photo.

After spending five hours in the kitchen, I think the enchiladas turned out great. But the process took way to long. I did come up with a few things I will try in the future. For instance the roasted tomato sauce (photo top right) would be much better if I purchased the tomatoes in the summer from a farmers market and made a large batch for use all year. I think the sauce turned out good enough that with a few tweaks could be used in a number other recipes. I used a new southwest recipe(photo top left) that I put in both batches of enchiladas, that I will continue to use as it reduced the amount of cheese I previously used. As for the re fried beans, they were much better than canned and did not take long after soaking the beans, but we don't eat that many re fried beans and I had way to much left over.

If anyone wants a copy of the recipes let me know and I will email them to you.

3 comments:

  1. Sounds delicious! Maye you can freeze the leftover beans? I recently made a transition from canned beans and chickpeas to dry beans. Although it took a little planning to find the time to soak and cook them, I now have containers of beans in the freezer for use any time and free of potential contaminants from can lining.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think there are some non-plastic freezer containers that you can get to store food in. Although the only place I know used to have them is Ikea. I wonder if there is a better place to get containers for this purpose?
    Just made a bunch of lentils myself. They were just beginning to sprout in the water when I remembered and found time to cook them. I hear you Liz.

    ReplyDelete
  3. There is an intersection between social justice and environmental justice that is becoming even more interwoven. I think that part of responsible consumership is also being aware of how companies treat their employees. Meijer has been known to be very homophobic in their practices and HRC ranks them as one of the lowest stores for equality practices.

    I understand that this project is to focus on consumer habits as they reflect the human relationship with the environment, but these issues are all connected. I would suggest that responsible purchasing goes beyond having an organic or locally grown section.

    What criteria should we look at when assessing a store?

    ReplyDelete