Sunday, February 13, 2011

Reducing our Environmental Pawprint

I’ve known for a while that clay-based kitty litter is not an environmentally friendly product. Not only does the clay have to be mined, but it does not readily break down in a landfill after disposal. When you think of the millions of domestic cats throughout the United States, the volume of litter (and therefore clay) used is staggering. In fact, approximately 8 billion pounds of litter is disposed of each year (Miller, n.d.). Plus, the kind I typically buy is packaged in heavy duty plastic buckets made from petroleum, increasing the environment "pawprint" of the product. For years, I operated under the guise that environmentally friendly litter must be impossibly expensive and unavailable.

I recently spent considerable time researching various alternatives to clay-based litter and specifically looked at the litter materials used, packaging, cost, and availability. My main goal was to find a litter made from a recycled material, packaged in a recyclable container, and reasonably priced. Just as important, I needed a litter that my cat Sukkha would be willing to use!

Right away, I found three main contenders that advertised themselves as sustainable alternatives to clay-based litter, and all of them can be found in major grocery/big box stores (for comparison, the clay-based litter I usually purchase is a 28 pound container of Arm & Hammer litter for $9.99).

Contender #1 – Purina’s Yesterday’s News ($16.99 for 30 pounds). This litter is in the form of pellets made from recycled newspaper. Another plus: the packaging is also recyclable, though the phrase “(where facilities exist)” qualifies this selling point. Fortunately, my city accepts this type of paper packaging in its recycling program. Purina’s website (http://www.yesterdaysnew.com/), complete with images of birds and trees, assures consumers that buying Yesterdays News means making a difference for your cat, your home, and the environment. I tried to ignore this bit of greenwashing. A 15 pound bag at the local grocery store costs $6.39, and a 30 pound bag at a national pet supply store costs $16.99.

Contender #2 - Nature’s Earth Feline Pine ($11.99 for 10 pounds). Although more expensive, Feline Pine asserts that its “corporate duty is to be a steward of the environment and our precious natural resources, make products that are safer and healthier for animals, utilizing pine and all-natural ingredients instead of clay.” Wow – what a statement! How could I go wrong with this product? To be sure, pine is a better material than clay, and my first assumption was that pine used in making Feline Pine was reclaimed pine waste. The first clue that reclaimed pine isn’t used was the promotion of “Pine Points”. With each purchase of Feline Pine, you earn “Pine Points”, which can be used to support animal shelters and reforestation projects (Hmmm… why reforestation projects?). Secondly, the bag displayed a label hailing the use of renewable pine. The company website (http://www.felinepine.com/) states that their product is made from “renewable southern yellow pine and natural guar.” For this reason, Feline Pine was immediately cut from the list of potential litter alternatives. As we learned in our Environmental Justice class, tree plantations in the southern U.S. have decimated local biodiversity.

Contender #3 – Swheat Scoop ($10.99 for 15 pounds). Swheat Scoop is a wheat-based litter, and I also eliminated this contender pretty quickly. The first thing one sees on the Swheat Scoop website (http://www.swheatscoop.com/) is wheat harvesting equipment suggesting that wheat is grown specifically for the manufacturing of this product (nothing on the website suggested otherwise). More importantly, the product is advertised as flushable. I spoke with a wastewater engineer friend of mine who said that cat litter can clog wastewater treatment filters. Also, cat waste contains a parasite (toxoplasma) whose eggs survive and pass through the wastewater treatment process and can contaminate waterways. Apparently, this is bad news for seals. Plus, if the parasites get into drinking water, they can cause brain damage to unborn human babies (E. Lynch, personal communication, February 5, 2011). Well, that settled it, Swheat Scoop was also eliminated. Theoretically, I wouldn't have to flush this litter, but I don't want to support a company that suggests this method of disposal.

And the winner is……..Yesterday’s News!

Yesterday's News is a bit more expensive than the clay-based litter I use, but the benefits are clear. Not only can Yesterday's News be found in two of my local stores, it's made from recycled material, and I can recycle the package. Additionally, if I use a paper bag to clean the waste from the litter box, the waste going to the landfill will quickly decompose. Plus, Sukkha also approved of the switch!

References:
E. Lynch (personal communication, February 5, 2011). Provided information on impacts of cat
waste on wastewater treatment and water quality

Feline Pine’s website: http://www.felinepine.com/

Miller, M.A. (n.d.). Cat litter – the dust settles. Retrieved from
http://www.thecatsite.com/Snips/107/Cat-Litter-The-Dust-Settles.html

Swheat Scoop’s website: http://www.swheatscoop.com/

Yesterday’s News website: http://www.yesterdaysnews.com/

4 comments:

  1. Liz,
    I have struggled with the cat liter issue and was glad to find Yesterday's News and used it for many years. More recently I have found a new kind called Cedarific. It is made from recycled wood products ground into sawdust type texture. They add red cedar to it and it smells great. I have been using it now for many years and my cat loves it, I love it,(if you can love cat litter) and it does truly last longer than other litters and it composts faster as well. You can find it at www.nep-co.com You need to try it. Not sure what I pay for it but I buy a large 50 lb bag of it. The packaging is recycleable too. All and all, I hope they never stop making it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your great blog topic! Though we do not flush our litter, we were not fully informed about the dangers of toxoplasma in waterways. Scary! We have struggled with the cat litter issue for a while. A large chain store near our house sells bulk litter, which eliminates the issue of packaging. However, it is still clay litter. We have tried some greener options in the past without success. The litter box is in the master bathroom, and Tank, our 20-year-old cat, was tracking litter into our bed. Unacceptable! We have recently tried World's Best Cat Litter (http://www.worldsbestcatlitter.com/) because it is made from corn. It seems to work well. However, here are a few things I don't like about it:

    - it is probably GMO corn
    - the packaging is not recyclable
    - the website mentions that it is flushable
    - it contains "other natural propriety plant materials" - Franken-plant materials?
    - and it is a bit pricey (34 pounds for around $35.00)

    So we are excited to hear of other options. (Thanks Liz and Coleen!) Regarding Cedarific, I am curious about the ecological impact of shipping a 50 pound bag to my house versus buying it in a local store. It is shipped either way, and I am not driving to pick it up if it comes to my house. Still, is there an appreciable difference? I sent the company an e-mail to ask if anyone in Charlotte carries Cedarific. I like that it does not appear to be the product of a giant corporation like Purina.

    On a related topic, we have also struggled with managing dog waste. We installed a Doggie Dooley (http://www.doggiedooley.com/) septic-style system, which works well in the warmer months. However, in the colder months or when we are not at home, we must use bags. An option we have been very satisfied with is BioBag (http://www.biobagusa.com/), which is made from non-GMO corn and is compostable. Though we do not put it in our home compost (I'm not confident that it gets hot enough to kill everything), I have added the excess bag material (material left when bags are torn off for use) into my bin. It takes a while, but it will compost, which is markedly different from just degrading from a large piece into smaller pieces that stick around. BioBag makes other products too, like kitchen bags and lawn and leaf bags. And their packaging is recyclable, or compostable, as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you ladies! Tomorrow is my errand day and cat litter is on the list. I am always on the lookout for a better choice.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That was so interesting! I don't have a cat but it makes me wonder what I am buying for my two dogs that could be different (although I guess my back yard for their litter box is about as local as I can get).
    I found a new food that is suppose to be better for them but forgot to check where its made. I will have to do so before they run out of what we have.

    ReplyDelete