Saturday, February 5, 2011

Schoolbook dilemma

Last week I realized that I was missing one of the required textbooks for my Environmental Leadership class. When I saw copies that some of my classmates already had purchased, I noticed it was a fairly small book and thought the price should be minimal. I immediately went to the regular sites where I normally purchase textbooks to see what sort of deal I could find on a used copy of the book. While I generally try to buy used books, sometimes when the price of shipping is added onto the price of the book, it ends up cheaper to buy the book new - as long as the shipping cost is waved. It seems likely to me that I will most likely get a better price for books when I go to resell them if I buy new. Then of course there is the fact that I have a tendency to highlight my textbooks as I read, to save the time of writing notes out separately as I go.

So I was in a bit of a conundrum about what would be the best plan for purchasing the book. I began to think of my options in relation to my citizenship class and our pledge to make as environmentally conscious buying decisions as possible. I wanted to be able to resell the book after the class and have it continue on its path of bringing useful knowledge to others. The chance for that would be better if I bought new, but I had pledged to not buy new unless absolutely necessary - nix that plan. So I was going to buy used and was looking for the location closest to me for its purchase to help save on the carbon footprint of shipping.

Alas, the ultimate solution came to me. I checked the catalog at the Sherrill Library at Lesley University and they had a copy in stock. I put the copy on hold through the website and walked to pick it up. No cost for the book or shipping and no carbon footprint. Yes, I will not be able to highlight in the book while I enjoying a free-for-all with my trusty highlighter pen, but I think the benefits outweigh the sacrifice!

4 comments:

  1. Hi Nancy, I also wrestle with the dilemma on the best way to approach purchasing my textbooks each semester as well. I always buy used books, and also research the best way to acquire them locally (and cheaply). Unfortunately most of the time I have to have the books shipped, which is contradictory to the treading lightly mantra because of the carbon footprint. Granted I find the closest source, but still it doesn't feel right personally. Also, I never sell my books back because I constantly re-read and refer to the written nuggets of knowledge frequently. The problem with the continual acquiring of books is the need for more storage space which translates to more stuff for storage and more space. I am hesitant to go the route of purchasing an e-reader, because of the eventual probability that I will be contributing to the world's e-waste problem.
    Honestly, I'm not sure which is the best route to go, to continue to buy used books from as local as I can get sources or purchase an e-reader to cut down on the eventual long term acquirement of stuff. In the end I think I will purchase the e-reader as it may have less of an effect environmentally, unless anyone has any good arguments otherwise?

    Melissa

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello,

    Your solution to contact the library was great! what a great way to save in every way. I think we all struggle with getting the most economical, least carbon footprint books, yet I find that usually makes me put it off till the last minute. Glad you were able to find one in the library!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I still do not know what the best solution is. In light of the facts, perhaps we should learn to deal with the library as Nancy says. The lifecycle of electronics is such a horrible one that I hate to buy an e-reader and have been going back and forth on it.
    I too have the dilemma of needing some kind of tangible contact with the information. I usually end up getting a combination of used books and library books. There are a pile of overdue books sitting in front of me as we speak.
    I have also been known to download audio books in some cases because I have an eye injury which causes them to get tired quickly. Of course this necessitates the use of my computer or iphone.
    Until there is a responsibly built electronic device on the market with a great design that allows for multifunctionality, I have vowed to make my laptop last as long as possible.
    Secretly though, I long for an ipad.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nancy,
    As someone who has bought books happily and addictedly, when I moved out of my house in Oct. I was quite annoyed at the boxes and boxes of books I had amassed in my adult life. My house was filled with book shelves. I ended up donating 16 boxes of books to my local church book sale. It was such a relief. I still have a ton of books, and I have made significant reductions in books that I buy. Now when I go to Lesley, I don't sneak down to the Harvard Coop at lunch. I don't however frequent the library. I don't even have a library card. Partially because I don't much read fiction - unless someone literally puts a book in my hand and tells me it is a must read. I do think that your challenge here has inspired me to go into the Belfast Library and get a card this week. It will be a good excursion for me and I need to explore what my local library has. Now watch - I'll get into the library and all the budget cuts will result in its closure. Hope not.

    ReplyDelete