Thursday, February 24, 2011

Responsable Buying





Hello,

This week I decided to focus on things other than food items we were purchasing. The first item, a shirt for me, was purchased at the only local, responsible store in my area where the items are local when possible and responsibly grown. My shirt was reasonable priced and more important, they had my size! I thought the tag was interesting. (upper right)

The next thing I had to purchase was garbage bags. I normally purchase a large amount so that I don't have to purchase them often, but was glad to see they now made garbage bags with at least some amount of recycled plastic, although I thought it could have been higher. Just out of curiosity, is there a better choice for placing garbage in? I debated not using bags, but that seems messy for the containers, yet I have not heard of an alternative to a plastic bag. Although I was happy that the box said it would decompose faster. (bottom right)

The next item I purchased was new shampoo and conditioner. I normally try and purchase an amount that will last me almost six months. However, I had been going to the Body Shop because of their fair trade and use of responsible ingredients. Because there are no stores near my house, I have to remember to make the purchase when I visit my dad and daughter in the Lansing area. While in Lansing, I got so busy doing making sure everything my dad needed me to do was done, that I forgot to stop at the store at the end of the day. While with my oldest daughter she asked to stop at one of her favorite stores (Ulta)while we were out. I decided to see if there was a responsible shampoo while at the store with her. I did find one that not only used recycled bottles, but responsible ingredients, in addition to donating a portion of every purchase to an organization that is helping to restore beauty to America, in honor of Earth Day. (upper left).

It seems like I am not only learning a great deal about the products I chose to spend my money on, but shopping with an entire different focus, just being a responsible consumer. I wonder if what is printed on the packaging is true or if they can print anything.

6 comments:

  1. Kris, This is my second comment to you. I wrote a long one yesterday and now it doesn't show up here. Bummer.
    There is much research you could do about alternatives to plastic bags. Just google corn plastic or alternatives to plastic. There is a plethora of research going on about how to replace plastic but in the end we will have to because it is made with oil - and as oil rachets up in price, there will be less and less incentive to be using it for products that get thrown away. So what will you do when plastic bags are too expensive to buy? You might find new ways to think of what you buy - that doesn't include packaging... or using all packaging that you buy in other ways, or only buying that packaging that could be recycled. Composting all compostables - including newspapers - though those are slowly fading away too. So life is going to change and the question is whether you are at the front of those making change - leading the pack ... or trailing behind following along and waiting for others to show you the way. We do have choices. I find the reduce or refuse idea of the recycle loop the best one.
    I think that so much of our social lives revolve around going out to shop. What can we replace shopping with? How can we spend time with our children and not have it centered on shopping?
    Your ecological consciousness is certainly being raised as you grapple with these mundane daily choices - but they all add up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I found your consumer research on garbage bags interesting; it's something I don't ever think about. In my community, we have a "Pay as Your Throw" program. We can only use Somersworth, NH trash bags that are purchased at local grocery stores or City Hall. Personally, I like the program because it makes every household accountable for how much waste they produce. For larger trash items (ex. couches, mattresses), stickers must be purchased in order to place them at the curb for pickup. In my, case I don’t have a choice about what trash bag to buy. However, your post makes me want to know what manufacturer the city contracts with to design and make the bags. Perhaps when the contract is up for renewal, the manufacturer can be persuaded to include more recycled content into their bags or even use an alternative material. Thanks for sharing the idea!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Kris,
    There are some compostable trash bags out there as well: http://greenpaperproducts.com/biodegradable-trash-bags.aspx. . .
    Do you have to have your trash in bags when you put it out in your city?
    If you don't and you can just empty it into a bin for pick-up, I have a system that works pretty well for me, though I suspect it depends on the size of your household and the willingness to take out the trash more often.
    IF you separate your food waste items from the trash , you can put the trash in paper bags that get hauled out to an outside bucket. . .as long as you don't put food in there it doesn't get too messy and you can reuse the bag.
    Then you just need to decide how you would like to handle your food waste:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kris,

    My personal favorite trashbag is BioBag. They make compostable bags from non-GMO corn. Note that compostable is different from biodegradable. Biodegradables break down into small pieces but never go away. Compostable will completely break down in the right conditions. However, in the anaerobic conditions of a landfill, even compostable bags will stay with us.

    Today I volunteered with Mecklenburg County's Wipe Out Waste program at the Southern Spring Show. One of my fellow volunteers, who is employed with the county, claimed that they found a 30-year-old banana peel in the landfill! I'm not sure if that is true, but in anaerobic conditions compostable items like bags, cutlery, cups, or potato chip bags do not break down.

    http://www.biobagusa.com/catering.htm

    Karen's suggestion is a good one. If you compost food waste and recycle other items, the volume of trash should be reduced and odors should be non-existent. Therefore, the need for a bag is reduced. However, I imagine this is challenging in a large household with many visitors in and out.

    In terms of assessing your cosmetics, consider using the Environmental Working Group's website Skin Deep. Sometimes I am surprised by what appears to be environmentally-friendly (based on packaging) and what actually is.

    http://www.cosmeticsdatabase.com/index.php

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oops! I apologize for misspelling Karyn's name!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you all for your suggestions. I am going to go on line and compare the different types and see if any stores near me carry them and order some if they don't. I have lots of food for thought!

    ReplyDelete